More than 100 years old, The Ontario Club has long been one of Canada's premier private
Ontario Club was founded in 1909, and in 1913 the first permanent
club house was opened at 16 Wellington Street in Toronto. The ribbon
was cut by Sir Wilfrid Laurier, Canada's 6th Prime Minister. Until
World War II, The Ontario Club was home to many Liberal politicians,
including many Senators and Cabinet Ministers. Following the War,
the Ontario Club ceased to have any official political affiliation,
and became the Club of choice for many of Toronto's professionals
and business leaders. In
1968 The Ontario Club sold its original premises at 16 Wellington Street to the Canadian
Imperial Bank of Commerce so the landmark Commerce Court could be
built on its site.
1992 the Engineers'
Club joined the Ontario Club, and brought with it many prominent
members of Canada's mining and financing community.
With the expiry of its lease at Commerce Court, after
more than 35 years The Club moved
into temporary premises in 2007. Unable to find suitable accommodations in the downtown core of Toronto, in December 2009 The Ontario Club entered into an agreement with The National Club, another of Canada's historic and premier private clubs. Under that agreement, Ontario Club members will be able to continue to enjoy the many benefits of club life as members of The National Club.
On May 4, 2010, at a Special Meeting of Members, the membership of The Ontario Club ratified the agreement with The National Club, and their integration into the life and activities of The National Club is now underway. While we are sad that The Ontario Club's existence as an independent private club is coming to an end, we are pleased that its members have found a new and welcoming home at The National Club, which offers exceptional and convivial surroundings in the heart of Toronto's business district.
The Ontario Club's board and members are very pleased with the opportunity to be part of The National Club, and continue to enjoy the many benefits of club life.